Sunday, October 11, 2015

Mating season

There is one thing that gives me absolute joy nowadays; my guppy fish.

I've been keeping them in a flower pot with a water plant (of some sort) in it and they're thriving so well. I initially had 3 pairs, of which only 4 survived til this day. 3 are males and 1 is a female. 

I've since moved the musketeers (yes I name the ones I can tell apart *shrugs*) into the koi pond where they grew larger and beautiful. Their tails are like silken rainbow flags, with black dots on them. I can see them quite easily despite the rather murky water. These 3 always swim together, like in a pack. They're the only ones which swim all over the pond. The other smaller guppies I've moved with the koi tend to stick to the edges of the pond, or beneath the raised platforms. 

Since it is Sunday and I'm not working I'm able to look at my fish at the most perfect time of the day: ~9-11am. The sun isn't too high in the sky and the light shines straight to the bottom of the habitats and so I can see the guppies easily and clearly. At other times of the day the light doesn't hit the water right and all I see is my reflection. This is a thing that I look forward to on days I don't have to go to work.

Two days ago I moved 6 more guppies from my main pool (the flower pot) into the upper section of the koi pond. I was worried they might fall with the waterfall into the main pond with the koi but they haven't. I added a couple more today to the upper section since I've noticed that the main pool is rather crowded now since the guppies have grown larger (day by day they grow!).

I've considered moving the Mother (the last surviving female from my original group of 6) into the koi pond where she could be with he musketeers but I think that might be cruel. She seems happy in the main pool with all the smaller fish. I wonder how many are actually her spawn and how many aren't hers. . .

The thing with guppies is, they're low maintenance and they're so so lovely. When taken care of they grow these colourful scales on their body. I've noticed how the scales become increasingly colourful as they mature.

Today I noticed that pairs of two have been chasing each other around. I've observed this happening in all three of the habitats: the main pool, the main koi pond and the upper section of the pond. I'm expecting there to be more guppies soon.

How long do guppies live anyway. I would be very sad if the Musketeers or the Mother dies.

The main pool is very slimy lately. It's because of the snails. Every 4 months or so there will be baby snails in the main pool. They make the pool slimy when they're about to leave the habitat. In the upper section of the koi pond I saw an entire waterboatman exoskeleton. There are also these inch long...things that I don't recognise living at the bottom. I don't see spider webs anymore though and this is mostly because Mary clears them up whenever she sees any I think.

I love this. I love that there is an ecosystem going on and that the tiny living beings procreate. I feel like a guardian, a witness of nature. What a blessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment