Monday, June 1, 2015

Change

"We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love. It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love a changed person."
                                                                               ~ W. Somerset Maugham


Upon reading this, I thought of A. How Time hasn't been very kind to our friendship. There is resentment between us; I on her secretive nature and her on my...I do not know exactly what. Perhaps jealousy, but that is too much of an assumption.

For what it's worth, I still long for A. to reach back to me. It seems such a waste...all those years of company and suddenly nothing. Well, next to nothing. I love to be needed and it is a flaw. A kind of arrogance, a problem of the Ego.

Dear A. if you're reading this (though you undoubtedly don't), I revere still your artistry. To quote my best confession towards you (as you may still have that letter pinned to your board),

"I miss watching you draw
and stealing them into my memory.
If you enter my mind, there is a gallery
of every which drawing of yours I ever saw.
               Our mutual affection is a thing I ponder
               When my days turn sombre."
                                                                                ~Lonely Woods, 2012

Perhaps no longer mutual yet still. If you wish me by your side, I will be there. You need only ask.

p.s. Hello June.

No comments:

Post a Comment