Monday, June 29, 2015

The wind rises

“Le vent se lève! . . . il faut tenter de vivre!"

(The wind rises! ... One must try to live!)

                                                                              ~Paul Valery


I saw Miyazaki's final animated film today, Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises) and it is wonderful. It's all very familiar, the tropes and designs he comes up with. The oddness of 'evil', how he romanticizes the notion of war and villains, and then always; the sweet heartbreak of Love grasped and in the end, to let go of it

And then dreams, how it takes root during childhood and then flourishes upon maturity.

I am very much in love with Miyazaki's aesthete. His films leaves one aching yet contented. Reminds me of why I adore Mishima's Spring Snow too. SS which I had two copies of, the first given (returned really, since it was hers in the first place) to M. and the second now sits on my desk. 

The Japanese have very nuanced conception of beauty. So, so, lovely.

p.s. I realized I don't have a tag for films here. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment