Thursday, May 8, 2014

Day 6

Man put on palliative care; passed away overnight. 17 year old boy got into a motorbike accident; paralysed from waist down, lost all control of bowels. Woman had a stroke and fell; fractured jaw, fractured hip. Man with only one eye (wears an eye patch) called ambulance; doctor heard splat as he went down. Woman got into vehicle accident; broke ribs, both legs, both arms (in full-body cast, crying to family around bed). Man with mouth cancer; extreme pain, can't eat, can't even swallow own saliva. Man had a stroke; lost some of his memory, "I expected this."

I can go on and on. Health is a treasure next best to simply being alive. 

I love my new placement because my preceptor is the kind that facilitates learning instead of the making-you-feel-bad-for-not-knowing-your-sh*t sort. She explains to me what she does blow by blow and also challengers me by asking me to participate, make decisions, give suggestions etc.

Today is another good day. Autumn is in full bloom. It was 3 Celsius last night. I could see my breath rising like smoke this morning on the way to work. And the sun today was the kind that gilds everything in gold. The trees in the park looked enchanting with their hues of red, orange and yellow leaves backlit by the golden shafts, throwing long shadows across the streets. I even like my tram rides these days. 

I am alone but I am not lonely. I am solitary and happy. Alhamdulillah.

No comments:

Post a Comment